The Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA) creates the general framework for the regulation of commercial medicinal and adult-use cannabis in California. The text of MAUCRSA can be viewed on the California Legislative Information website by clicking on the below link.
- Bureau of Cannabis Control Text of Regulations
- Bureau of Cannabis Control Disciplinary Guidelines
- Regulation Notice Request Form - fill this form out to receive notice of any Bureau regulatory or rulemaking actions.
Pending Rulemaking Actions
Pursuant to Government Code section 11340.85(c)(9), a business or person submitting a public comment regarding a proposed rulemaking action has the right to request a copy of the final statement of reasons.
AB 1525 Emergency Rulemaking Action – Authorization and Release of Applicant Information to Financial Institutions
- Errata to Finding of Emergency and Notice of Rulemaking Action and Proposed Text of Emergency Regulations
- Finding of Emergency and Notice of Emergency Rulemaking Action (AB 1525)
- Text of Proposed Emergency Regulations (AB 1525)
AB 2138 Rulemaking Action - Cannabis Regulation Application Process Requirements
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Action and 45-Day Public Comment Period (AB 2138)
- Initial Statement of Reasons (AB 2138)
- Text of Proposed Regulations (AB 2138)
Recently Approved Rulemaking Actions
Readoption of Quick Response (QR) Code Emergency Regulations – Approved December 8, 2020
- Notice of OAL Approval for Readoption of Emergency Regulations
- Approved Text of Emergency QR Code Regulations – Readopt
- Notice of Submission of Emergency Readoption Rulemaking Action to OAL – November 30, 2020
- Finding of Emergency and Notice of Readopt
- Redline Text of QR Code Emergency Regulations - Readopt
QR Code Emergency Rulemaking Action – Approved February 13, 2020
- Notice of OAL Approval of Emergency Regulations
- Approved Text of Emergency QR Code Regulations
- Addendum to Finding of Emergency - February 12, 2020
- Notice of Submission of Emergency Rulemaking Action to OAL - February 3, 2020
- Finding of Emergency and Notice of Emergency Rulemaking Action
- Text of Proposed Emergency QR Code Regulations - Redline Version
Cannabis Regulation Rulemaking Action – Approved January 16, 2019
Some rulemaking items are not shown below. To view the entire rulemaking record or request a rulemaking document not listed below, please contact the Bureau at BCC@dca.ca.gov.
- OAL Notice of Approval of Certificate of Compliance - January 16, 2019
- Approved Text of Cannabis Regulations (Order of Adoption)
- Final Statement of Reasons and Addendum
- Modified Text of Proposed Cannabis Regulations - Redline Version
- Modified BCC Disciplinary Guidelines - Redline Version
- 15-Day Notice of Modification to Text of Proposed Cannabis Regulations
- Text of Proposed Cannabis Regulations - Redline Version
- Initial Statement of Reasons
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Action and 45-Day Public Comment Period
California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Initial Study/ Proposed Negative Declaration – September 2017
As lead agency under CEQA, the Bureau prepared an Initial Study/Proposed Negative Declaration (IS/ND) for the proposed cannabis regulatory licensing and enforcement program (Proposed Program). Based on the findings of the IS/ND, the Bureau determined that the Proposed Program would not have any significant effects on the environment. The IS/ND may be accessed through the link below. To view additional CEQA documents related to the IS/ND, please contact the Bureau at BCC@dca.ca.gov.
- CEQA Initial Study and Proposed Negative Declaration
- CEQA Notice of Intent Initial Study and Proposed Negative Declaration
Previous Cannabis Regulations
Archives of previous cannabis regulations rulemaking actions are listed below. Please note that none of these previous regulations are currently in effect. Click here to access the current Bureau of Cannabis Control regulations. To view or request any previous emergency or proposed cannabis regulations rulemaking documents, please contact the Bureau by email at BCC@dca.ca.gov.
Emergency Cannabis Regulations – Approved December 7, 2017
In December 2017, the Bureau of Cannabis Control (Bureau) adopted emergency cannabis regulations to clarify and make specific licensing and enforcement criteria for commercial cannabis businesses under the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA). The Bureau readopted these emergency regulations in June 2018, which remained in effect while the Bureau went through the formal rulemaking process to create non-emergency regulations. None of these emergency regulations are currently in effect.
MCRSA Medical Cannabis and Medical Cannabis Testing Lab Regulations – Withdrawn October 6, 2017
In Spring 2017, California's three cannabis licensing authorities released draft regulations for the Medical Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act of 2015. These licensing authorities held several public hearings to accept oral and written comments regarding the draft regulations. The licensing authorities had planned to move forward with a separate draft regulatory package for implementation of Proposition 64: The Adult Use of Cannabis Act of 2016. However, in late June, the Legislature passed, and the Governor signed into law, the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA), which creates one regulatory system for both medicinal and adult-use (recreational) cannabis. As a result, the licensing authorities withdrew the proposed medical cannabis regulations on October 6, 2017, as announced in this news release. The three cannabis licensing authorities created emergency regulations based on the new law for the commercial medicinal and adult-use (recreational) cannabis industries. During this process, the licensing authorities considered the valuable public comments received regarding the draft medicinal cannabis regulations. None of these regulations are currently in effect.